Monday, July 23, 2012

Good Will Hunting

Alright, I know what you're thinking...Goodwill? Yes. Goodwill. Goodwill is one of the largest thrift stores in the world and what you need to know is where the goods are. A while ago, I became acquaintances with one of the daughters of the CEO's of the Goodwills in my hometown state. She told me a little about their story and the way they distribute their clothing to their stores. Basically, the really amazing designer brands that are found in most locations are shipped to areas of higher income or reputable areas. I didn't think anything of it, but my other friends told me about this distribution as well...so I had to check it out.

After hearing what she had to say I went on over to my own Goodwill and found some cute clothes, nothing designer but nevertheless cute. I was excited to find a fully functioning Watermelon Red Version of a Nintendo 64 with matching controllers for $4!!

Some time after my venture to my Goodwill in my little town, I went on a trip with my friends to the big city. My friends demanded we go hit the Goodwills in the city because they were having a sale: $2 for all pairs of shoes and $2 on all denim. I did not want to go, but to my surprise: Lucky Brands, Miss Me, Joe's Jeans, so many designer brands of jeans for only $2!! My friends also informed me of the designer rule of Goodwill: nicer area = nicer clothes. The shoes were actually happening as well, as if I was in Ross. I did pick up some boots for $2. They were very clean and I Lysoled them up for good measure. I also found vintage hard shell clutches for a couple dollars and I get complements on them all the time.  I visited two Goodwills in the big city and they were all happening like crazy! You still have to look through the clothing to find the great stuff, but the treasure is definitely there.

So bottom line:
-there ARE designer items in Goodwill; they are found in more expensive areas
-Goodwill has clearance sales every so often, such as $1 bottoms and $2 denim. Check their website to find  
  if an event is coming in your Goodwill Store area:


 To Goodwill Store Locator





No comments:

Post a Comment